- Never leave display cases unlocked
- Check the number of garments taken in and out of fitting rooms, and remove surplus clothing from fitting rooms after each customer
- Display dummy goods or empty cases only (e.g. CDs)
- Only display one of “paired” items
- Ensure customer service areas are adequately staffed to reduce customer waiting time
- Provide receipts for all purchases and conduct spot-checks of receipts at the store exit
- Close shopping bags and staple receipts to the outside of them
- Avoid exchanging returned items without proof of purchase. If an exchange is considered appropriate, the preferred option is to arrange credit – not cash.
- Download our guide below, Preventing Shoplifting for Retailers, to find out more.
If you believe there is an element of organisation to the shoplifting occurring in your store, contact Crime Stoppers free of charge on 1800 333 000.